So, it's 5:00 freakin' o'clock in the morning and the Muslim call to prayer finally ended. It usually starts at about 4:15 am and ends 20 or so minutes later, but not today, kids! Ramadan is wrapping up and I think the calls will get longer and longer until Thursday. AND - different mosques seem to be competing for who has the longest and most plaintive call! There are four more calls over the course of the day, but other than drowning out the episode of "Friends" I was watching last night at 7:30, not a problem.
Oh my gosh, what a crazy few days it's been. The 11 hour flight wasn't so bad; of course it was accompanied with a whole Ambien and half a lorazapam. Getting through immigration was tricky because I guess different countries don't want you staying too long, only enough to spend your tourist dollars and then get out. Jet lag has yet to let up. I am wide awake at 2:00 am and want to die from sleep deprivation at 1:00 in the afternoon. Grocery shopping so far has been a mix of different "stores" that all seem like the equivalent of a NYC "bodega." And walking along the roads means taking your life into your hands as the crazy drivers speed by at about 45 mph on the tiny street you're on. Plus, if you don't get flattened by some speeding car, you will most definitely fall into the HUGE piles of trash thrown just anywhere. Whoever said Israel wasn't a third world country was lying just a little bit!
Yes, I'm sure things will get better, this will be the most wonderful experience of my life, blah blah blah. But for now you all must let me complain a little and get it out of my system.
Crazy days! You can be thankfulnyou missed Hurricane Irene! JFK/LGA/EWR closed down and flights are backed up......angry travelers. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteYou have every right to vent and a whole lotta time to find the "lemonade" in this experience...so, you go girl!!! If you were all happiness and light, I'd wonder what you'd done with my Lainy! :-)
ReplyDeleteLove you!